How do we create a website in Perl?
In these times, Perl web programming may have taken a back with the more modern and trendy implementation such as Java, PHP, Ruby and others. But there are still some huge traffic sites that are still using Perl until this day. Writing web code in Perl may seem to take you back to the 90’s. Yes we can see that Perl is not built for the World Wide Web since its creation was before it. But somehow it still a very reliable engine and technology.
Here are its advantages:
1. No compilation, We can release on the fly
2. Great string parsing ability
3. Can connect to the database and web components by using some existing Perl libraries.
1. There’s a lot of code to do, but not to worry we can always refer to CPAN the repository of Perl codes, so we can always refer there if its something common already implemented.
2. There are only a few programmers with Perl experience, but again not to worry, Perl is realy simple to learn if you have C , C++ or Java background.
So here’s how Perl basically can be used as a web program
– Perl works as a CGI script when its called from an HTTP
– It can accept a HTTP request, connect to the database and create a HTTP response.
– Although PERL is an old programming language, it can be integrated to very new web technologies.