Spring MVC basic and simple explanation
1. As a pre-requisite, org.springframework libraires are to be downloaded and added in the project.
2. All mappings are declared in the Controller Class, not in any xml files.
3. @RequestMapping annotation maps the specific URI as accessed by the the browser.
Ex. Map the URI “/welcome” and when the complete URI http://localhost:8080/spring2/welcome
is accessed by the browser, the Controller Class with “welcome” @RequestMapping is accessed.
4. A specific method will return the ModelAndView Class, where the jsp file name is
the String constructor initialization of the ModelAndView class.
Ex. ModelAndView model = new ModelAndView(“HelloWorldPage”);
where HelloWorldPage is the name of the jsp file
5. All other general configurations are set in spring-mvc-config.xml and web.xml files.
See a more comprehensive tutorial here:
Spring Web MVC and Spring Webflow combined.
Spring Web MVC is the url->to-> controller mapping, while Spring Webflow is the transition controller of a page to another page using a flow configuration.
If both frameworks are combined, the Spring Web MVC will return the initial page, then in this initial page, an option to transfer to another page is processed by the Spring Webflow using xml configuration, then the Spring libraries takes care of the rest….
here’s a neat post where Spring Web MVC and Spring Webflow is combined, for comparison.